In 1930, Carlton and Jeanette Smith began cultivating an adjacent plot, at the corner of Oakwood Ave and Walnut Lane, into a garden which offered continuous bloom. In January 1975, the Smiths donated the family home and adjacent garden to the City of Oakwood, Ohio. The city sold the home and uses the funds to maintain the Smith Memorial Gardens with amazing plants. In April 1996, Ohio Magazine surmised Smith Gardens were “finest tiny public gardens in Ohio. It's like a secret treasure on an ordinary side street.” As seen in this image, the city faithfully pursues the Smith’s vision in maintaining this little piece of heaven.